Grilled cheese sandwiches are the best comfort food. Easy as can be, all you need are a chunk of cheese, a few slices of bread, and some imagination. This version is extra yummy, with two layers of oozing warm cheese!
Ingredients for 2 sandwiches:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
4 slices rye bread
½ pound havarti cheese
1 orange pimento pepper
1 or 2 sprigs oregano
1 sprig thyme
- Slice your cheese and pimento pepper.
- Butter your bread and turn it over. On the unbuttered side, add a first layer of cheese.
- Add one slice of pimento pepper and sprinkle some fresh herbs.
- Set the stove to medium. Transfer the sandwich to a non-stick pan.
- Add a second layer of sliced cheese.
- Cover the sandwich with a buttered slice of bread.
- Let the bottom slice of bread brown for about 2 to 5 mins.
- Press on the bread using a spatula. The bottom layer of cheese should be melting.
- Flip the sandwich to melt the second layer of cheese.
- Brown the other side of the sandwich for another 2 mins.