It has been 30°C below zero all week up here, in
Ingredients for 12 buns:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 pkg. active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
½ cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (approx.)
1 cup whole unblanched almonds
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 tsp kirsch (or almond extract)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 tbsp icing sugar
1. Add 1/4 cup warm water to a large bowl and stir in 2 tsp of the sugar.
2. Crumble the yeast into the sweet water and allow to dissolve about 10 minutes.
3. In a small saucepan, heat milk , remaining sugar, butter and salt until butter is melted; let cool to lukewarm.
4. Stir the milk mixture into the yeast mixture along with eggs.
5. Stir in the flour in three parts to form a shaggy dough.
6. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
7. Transfer into a large greased bowl.
8. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 ½ hours.
9. In the meantime, make the frangipane, by finely chopping the almonds in a food processor.
10. Pulse in sugar and flour.
11. Add butter, egg and kirsch to obtain a smooth paste.
12. Punch the dough down and roll the dough into 18 by 14 inch rectangle on a floured board.
13. Leaving a 1-inch border, mound some frangipane on one long side and spread the rest evenly over the dough.
14. Starting with mounded side, tightly roll up and pinch seam to seal.
15. Cut the roll into 12 slices using a serrated knife.
16. Line 13 by 9 inch metal cake pan with double thickness parchment paper.
17. Place the slices, cut side up, in the prepared pan.
18. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
19. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
20. Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the sliced almonds.
21. Bake until golden and rolls sound hollow when tapped on bottoms, 20 to 30 minutes.
22. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then on a rack.