Ingredients for 6 servings:
2 beef shanks (about 2 pounds)
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 daikon root
3 sticks celery
1½ cup shiitake mushrooms
Whole hot chillies to taste
½ to 1 cup dry white wine
2 bay leaves
16 ounces can tomato
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop the daikon, celery and mushrooms and transfer to the slow cooker.
2. Cut the stems off the peppers and add to the vegetables with the bay leaves. (NB: If you are sensitive to hot chillies, you can half them and remove the seeds or you can keep them whole and poke them with a fork to slowly let the heat diffuse into the dish)
3. Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
4. Mix the flour with salt and pepper on a plate and coat the beef shanks with the flour mixture. Drain the flour and brown the meat in the hot oil.
5. Transfer the beef shanks to the slow cooker.
6. Chop the garlic stems and add to the hot pan. Stir-fry for 1-2 mns over low to medium-high heat.
7. Deglaze with the wine and stir in the leftover flour.
8. Let simmer for 2 mns. Pour the gravy over the meat.
9. Slow cook on high for 1 hour.
10. Add the tomatoes and cook for at least another 6 hrs, until the meat is fork tender.
11. Serve hot over steamed rice, asparagus or green beans.