Mid-June already and you know summer is almost here when you can enjoy a leisurely brunch in the backyard. Fruit salad, pastries and fresh cup of your favorite caffeine fix laid out on the patio table.* Sigh*
Our rhubarb has grown to a giant bush – perfect hiding spot for the cats. Red stalks up straight, ready for harvesting and for all the treats and desserts you can imagine… How about using some stalks for some tasty buttermilk muffins for breakfast? And because it is the most important meal of the day, I thought I’d better add a few chocolate chips to start it right.
A few minutes to whip up and bake the muffins, just enough to prepare the fruit salad and the tea… and back to the yard!
Ingredients for one dozen large muffins:
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
¾ cup buttermilk
2/3 cup safflower oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1½ cup fresh or frozen rhubarb
½ cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. In a bowl, mix together the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract using a whisk.
3. In another bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Stir the rhubarb and chocolate into the flour mixture.
5. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until the ingredients are just combined.
6. Brush the muffin cups with oil and fill with batter.
7. Bake for about 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
8. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.