One week of rain and peas, radish, beans and spinach have grown another inch or two. Our carrots and cucumbers are finally poking out of the ground.
Feels like fish, preferably on the grill.
How about these gorgeous rainbow trout?
It is so rare to find fresh fish at conventional grocery stores in
I wasn’t too sure where they came from, but they certainly reminded me of camping in Buffalo Lake and learning how to cast a fishing line. I did not catch anything that time, except for some old boot and a lot of algae.
The trout are so delicate that I decided on a salt crust instead of grilling them. I LOVE the salt crust because the crust - which is easy to brush off- protects the fish from the heat and preserves the moisture and softness of the trout. Very simple! I completely covered the fish in Kosher salt and wrapped them in foil after filling their bellies with bay leaves. A few minutes on the barbecue (or in the oven if raining) et voilà! The fennel and radicchio salad are just what I craved for…
Ingredients for 2 servings:
2 whole rainbow trout, cleaned
2 cups Kosher or coarse sea salt
6-8 bay leaves
1. Lightly brush the inner cavity of each fish with salt, pepper and olive oil.
2. Fill the fish with bay leaves (Tip: Do not overstuff or the crust will seep through).
3. Tear rectangles of aluminum foil large enough to individually wrap each trout.
4. Spread ½ cup of salt on each piece of foil.
5. Pat the fish with paper towel and place the fish on top of the salt.
6. Entirely cover with the rest of the salt, pressing to form a crust.
7. Chill for at least 1 hr to consolidate the crust.
8. Light up the barbecue.
9. When the coals are ready, barbecue the foil-wrapped trout for 20-30 mins, flipping the fish after 10-15 mins.
10. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 mins.
11. Gently remove the salt crust and serve with fennel and radicchio salad.
Fennel and Radicchio Salad
1 large fennel bulb
1 small radicchio
1 cup cherry tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, mix together jemon juice and zest, 2 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Thinly slice fennel, radicchio, and cherry tomatoes and toss the dressing.
3. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.