…or How I turned this French Classic into Buttery Cupcakes.
Just like in Proust’s à la Recherche du Temps Perdu, a bite into one of these treats remind me of growing up. Especially with a glass of warm honey milk for dunking!!!
These madeleines that I discovered in Alain Rayé’s La Régalade are just as delicious with a dollop of rosehip jelly, for a very special Goûter – except that I didn’t have any shell-shape moulds.
Ingredients for 12 cupcakes:
1½ cups unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1¾ cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 whole eggs
3 tablespoons honey
½ cup milk
Lime or lemon zest
- Melt and brown the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat.
- Remove from the heat and cool completely using a cold water bath.
- Mix the sugar, flour, and baking powder in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and honey.
- Form a well into the solid ingredients.
- Pour the egg mixture into the well and stir until smooth using a whisk.
- Incorporate the cooled melted butter and the zest into the smooth dough.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Butter and flour the muffin tins.
- Drop a heaping tablespoon of dough into the muffin tins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Cool on a rack - if you can resist!!!