This is my new favourite barbeque fish recipe! The sweetness of the peas and potatoes counter-balances the smokey flavour of the anis wood infused fish steaks.
1 pound mahi mahi (2 steaks)
2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
¼ to ½ cup red peppercorn
4 pieces anis wood
4 bacon slices (or 100 grams pancetta)
½ yellow onion
2 small leeks
3 cups peas
4 new potatoes
½ teaspoon thyme
½ to 1 cup beer
Salt and pepper to taste
- Start the barbeque.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Chop the onion, leeks and potatoes.
- Brown the bacon in the hot pan until slightly crisp, drain and set aside
- Add the chopped onion into the same pan.
- Once the onion is soft and lightly caramelised, add the leek and potatoes.
- Sauté until the potatoes are browned on all sides.
- Stir in the peas and thyme.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover for 15 mins to allow the vegetables to soften.
- While steaming the vegetables, soak the anis wood in water.
- Crush the red peppercorn in a mortar and transfer to a plate.
- Coat the fish steak with the peppercorn and Kosher salt.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Place the anis wood on the hot coals.
- Barbeque the fish for 3 mins per side.
- Before serving, add the beer and bacon to the vegetables and season to taste.