Unlike the pub classic, this club sandwich with a new twist uses omelette instead of grilled chicken breasts. The extra oozy, fluffy omelette made with zesty capers mingles perfectly with the garlicky red peppers and the sharp Asiago cheese. A hearty, delicious lunch – or maybe brunch for the gourmands!
Ingredients for 2 sandwiches:
6 slices of your favourite bread
4 slices bacon
2 tablespoon capers
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 lettuce leaves
Mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the bacon slices over medium high heat in a non-stick pan.
- Chop the onion and slice the cheese.
- Toast the bread.
- Once the bacon is crisp, drain on paper towel.
- Add onion and capers to the hot bacon drippings, until soft.
- Heat some olive oil over medium high in a small non-stick pan.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the cream and season to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture into the hot small pan.
- After 1 to 2 minutes, add the onion and capers to the eggs.
- Let the omelette cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and divide into quarters.
- Layer lettuce, cheese, bacon, omelette and red peppers on the toasted bread.
- Add with a slice of bread and repeat the layering.
- Top the sandwich with the last slice of bread.