This recipe features a pâte brisée, the easiest pastry ever - and I am sure you will agree with me when you try it! No need to fuss around to get this thin crust ready!
In this pie, the sweet tartness of small red and yellow Galas and bright pink Spartan is balanced with the candied and dried fruit. Perfect for a light dessert!
Ingredients for the pâte brisée:
100 grams room temperature butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (75 mL) cold water
Ingredients for the filling:
4 apples (2 gala and 2 spartan)
¼ cup raisins
2 tablespoons candied orange peel
¼ cup orange liqueur
1 egg yolk
3. Pour the water in and slightly knead to form a ball.
4. Wrap the dough with clingfilm and allow to rest in the fridge for 30 mins.
5. Slice the apples. You can also peel the apples, but I prefer them with their skin on.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
7. Line a deep pie pan with parchment paper.
8. Roll the dough using a pin on floured board.
9. Transfer the dough to the pan. Bake the pastry blind for 15 to 20 mins to avoid a soggy crust.
10. Layer the candied peel, the raisin and the apple slices in the pie pan.
11. Bake for 30 mins, until the apples are golden brown.
12. Slightly beat the orange liqueur with the egg yolk.
13. Brush the apples with the egg mixture.
14. Bake for another 5 mins.
15. Serve warm, au natural or à la mode.