This is one of our favourite chicken curries, but I completely forgot its name. I found the recipe online when I was still in Montréal but we just had to say goodbye to our old computer two weeks ago, and to my old internet favourites with it… I tried to find the site through Google, and the only recipe that was close to it was this Tomato Curry Chicken.
Thankfully, I made this curry so often that I haven’t needed to look up the recipe for years...Close enough to the original with leeks, new potatoes, garlic and parsley seeds from our garden, plus Hot Cherry Bombs we just found at the Italian Center.
Ingredients for 4 servings:
1 pound chicken drumsticks (or breasts)
1 clove garlic
1 hot pepper (Cherry bomb)
2 pieces aniswood
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ 16-ounce tomato can
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 tablespoon curry powder
3 to 4 small leeks
1 teaspoon parsley seeds
1 yellow zucchini
4 medium new potatoes
Olive oil or ghee
- Smash the garlic and chop the hot pepper and the leeks.
- Score the chicken with a knife and place in a plastic bag for marinating.
- Add the garlic, hot and black peppers, aniswood, salt, cloves, and cardamom seeds to the chicken.
- Zest and cut the lime into quarters. Add zest, juice and quarters to the chicken.
- Massage the marinade into the chicken and let rest for at least 30 mins in the fridge.
- Turn the oven broiler on.
- Transfer the chicken with the lime and the aniswood onto a baking sheet, saving the rest of the marinade for the sauce.
- Broil for 15 mins until all sides are golden and tent with foil.
- While broiling the chicken, heat some oil over medium high heat in a pan.
- Add the garam masala and the curry powder to the pan and toast for 1-2 mins.
- Add the chopped leeks and stir fry for another minute.
- Stir the canned tomatoes in, then the rest of the marinade (wrapped in cheesecloth to keep the cloves together).
- Let simmer for 10 mins.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters and add to the sauce with the broiled chicken.
- Let simmer for 30 mins over medium to low heat, until the potatoes are soft.
- Chop the zucchini and add to the sauce 5 mins before serving.
- Serve with sticky rice.