Guess I am on my tart and pie kick this month! These tomato tarts are another easy way to enjoy my almond pastry, especially if you have extra dough from the chocolate tart recipe. The savoury cream cheese enhances the sweetness of the baked tomatoes, matching the cookie-like tart shell. Perfect as a first course or side dish!
Ingredients for one dozen tartlets:
1 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup almonds
1/4 cup sugar
½ cup cold butter
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons cold water
1 pinch of salt
For the filling:
1 bag of two dozen cherry tomatoes
1 package light cream cheese
¼ cup Dijon mustard
1. Chop the almonds in a food processor until ground.
2. Mix the ground almonds, the sugar and the salt with the flour in a bowl.
3. Cut the butter into small cubes and, using your hands, rub the butter into the flour mixture until obtaining coarse grains.
4. Slightly beat the egg yolk and stir into the flour mixture with a fork.
5. Add the water and knead for 1 mins to form a ball.
6. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 mins.
7. Preheat the oven to 325 F.
8. Line tartlet pans with parchment paper.
9. Roll the dough on a floured board.
10. Cut the dough and drape it over the lined pans.
11. Bake blind for 20 mins, until golden.
12. Chill in the fridge for 15 mins.
13. Generously brush the tart shells with mustard.
14. Slice the cream cheese and lay on the mustard.
17. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and serve immediately.